29 November 2011 - 20:30

Pakistan's Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani says the US will vacate a Pakistani airbase next month following Islamabad's weekend order.

(Ahlul Bayt News Agency) - "The US will vacate the airbase by Dec. 11," Gilani said on Wednesday, adding that Pakistan had sent a formal letter to the US to vacate the airbase.

The order came after a US-led airstrike killed at least 24 Pakistani soldiers and wounded dozens others in Pakistan's northwestern region of Mohmand Agency last week.

In reaction, Pakistan blocked dozens of trucks carrying goods and fuel supplies for NATO forces in Afghanistan and ordered a review of all arrangements with the US and NATO, including diplomatic, political, military and intelligence activities.

Shamsi Airbase, which is a remote desert outpost in southwest Pakistan, was used as a hub for covert CIA drone strikes for nearly 10 years. Pakistan had previously told the US to leave the site in June.

Gilani announced the Pakistani cabinet's decision to boycott next week's Bonn Conference on the future of Afghanistan.

"Pakistan cannot put at risk its own security for Afghanistan," he said after Afghan President Hamid Karzai on Tuesday called for a review of the boycott decision.

"I had told President Karzai that Afghan soil was used for attack on Pakistan and we are protesting over the attacks," he was quoted as saying by Xinhua.

"Bonn Conference will be held for Afghanistan's security but who will guarantee our security in view of NATO strikes," Gilani said.

"We cannot attend Bonn Conference unless we get guarantee of respect to our sovereignty, independence and security," the prime minister said.

/106